Did you know that 25% of all warehouse injuries occur on the loading dock? That is according to the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA). The following best practices will help keep the loading dock areas of your facility as safe as possible.
- Integrate safety equipment such as guard rails, dock gates, and overhead door track protectors
- Provide strong lighting both inside and outside the loading dock area
- Use a dock leveler to ensure a smooth transition between trailers and docks
- Restrict dock access to authorized personnel only through driver access cages
- Train and regularly retrain forklift drivers and other specialized workers in the warehouse
- Install ladders or purchase rolling ladders for easier access to docks and platforms as needed
- Utilize dock lights to ensure greater visibility
- Block dust and airborne pollutants with a roll-up dock door
- Keep the floors clean and in prime condition for your workers
At the end of the day, it’s all about keeping your workers safe and free from injury in the warehouse. By following the above best practices, you can help bring peace of mind to your company and create a safer working environment for all. And if you need help creating a better loading dock environment, Axiom is here for you! We partner with the best in the loading dock equipment industry to get you the highest-quality safety solutions in the business. Contact us today to learn more or to request a quote.